Mr. Rutledge has over 40 years of experience in the practice of Architecture, as well as in construction and construction management. His initial experience was with Navy Engineer Corps where he was a construction/contracts administrator for three years in Japan and Vietnam. While in Japan he also served on a joint U.S. Government / Government of Japan Council for housing relocation and base closures. Returning to the Seattle area he formed William Rutledge & Associates Architects working primarily with single family residential projects. He also formed Rutledge Construction, Inc. and built over 20 homes and custom residences. The Architectural work expanded over the years to include work in the areas of multi-family, office, retail, institutional, mixed-use, and master planning. Over the past 35 years he has successfully completed projects in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, California, Alaska, Texas, and Rhode Island.
The combination of 3 years in construction management of large government projects, 8 years as a general contractor, and over 35 years as a practicing Architect give Mr. Rutledge a unique background and perspective for approaching new work. Understanding the complexities of coordinating with local jurisdictions, the contractor’s constraints, and the program and design requirements of the client enables Mr. Rutledge to guide a project to a successful conclusion.
Experience and Community Service Involvement
- Naval Air Station, Atsugi, Japan, Assistant Officer in Charge of Construction, Planning & Programs Officer
- Member of Shoreline Planning Commission
- US Navy O.I.C.C., Saigon, Vietnam, Resident Officer in Charge of Construction, Saigon area
- President/Member Board of Directors, Shoreline Chamber of Commerce
- Rutledge Construction, Inc., President
- Chairman of the Board of Seattle Archdiocese Building Commission
- Project representative to St. John Vianney Parish
- Project representative for Res. 12 Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Center for Woman
University of Washington, Bachelor of Architecture
US Navy CECOS, CA Construction Management Program